Mother’s Day: Gifts for the Mom who loves to read
May 10th is Mother’s Day for those of us who live in the U.S. Need some inspiration for the mother in your life? Below we’ve compiled a list of recommended gifts with a range to cover all budgets.
1. An e-reader: Every serious reader needs an e-reader. I like the basic paperwhite just for the purpose of reading because I don’t like the glare on the tablets. But, if you want more features or if your mom already has a Kindle, the latest Kindle tablet is a nice upgrade and includes features above and beyond a standard e-reader. You can find the Kindle fire here:Fire HDX 8.9, 8.9″ HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB
2. Book box subscription: There are multiple subscription services for the book lovers. Book Riot has a nice one (I just signed up) that includes a personal letter and hand-picked items. The Book Riot subscription is a quarterly service and costs $50 per box. You can find out more here. You could also try buying your mother an unlimited service like Oyster or Amazon’s Kindle Unlimited.
3. Mother & Daughter Letter Book: A nostalgic set of 40 cards are meant to be sent, shared and treasured until the very last envelope is sealed. Need a little inspiration to get started? Look to the hundreds of personal prompts that encourage you to share facets of your personality that family otherwise wouldn’t see. Once completed, cards find their way back into the secret pockets of the book. Rich with sentiment, each personalized book is meaningful way to honor your bond, and be passed down from generation to generation as an heirloom from the heart. You can find this book here:Mother and Daughter Letter Book
4. Book Art: Etsy has a lot of great ideas for book-related art. For a bit of a splurge, try a fancy book print. Uncommon goods has a beautiful print of an Alice in Wonderland scene that you can find here. They also have other literary prints featuring Anna Karenina, Emma Woodhouse, etc.
5. Bath Caddy: I can’t think of a better combination for relaxing than wine, books, and bubble bath. You could combine this into a larger gift with a bottle of wine, and nice bath products for an evening of relaxing. There are lots of types ranging in price from $15-$50. You can find a nice bath caddy here: Umbra Aquala Bamboo and Chrome Bathtub Caddy
6. Book clothing: While this may seem like a nerdy option, there are some nice options that are actually stylish and don’t scream book nerd. Litographs has a nice selection of T-shirts that feature images of various classics along with the text from those books. You can see a selection here. They also have some really nice tote bags on their site. Literati club also has nice infinity scarves with quotes from a variety of classic works. We have added some to our Amazon Mother’s day tab that you can browse here: http://astore.amazon.com/therearoo020-20
7. Book Jewelry: Check out Bored Panda’s, “15+ Book-Inspired Pieces of Jewelry for BookWorms.” You can also find a range of book-inspired jewelry on Etsy. Also for some inspiration, check out Literary Emporium (U.K. company).
8. Books: Books may be hard to select but many serious readers have online bookshelves with lists of books they want to read. One strategy is to pick a few books from your mom’s TBR or wish list. Another strategy is to pick an appropriate mother’s day book. Some ideas include:
- Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou
- The Movement of Stars by Amy Brill: A historical romance that “blends themes of love, motherhood, women’s history, and science into a compelling historic romance (CS Monitor)”.
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sandberg: For the working mom. While a controversial book, it is one that can stimulate an interesting discussion.
- Momma Love: How the Mother Half Lives by Ali Smith: Coffee-table style book with beautiful portraits and touching personal stories. Amazon lists it at a crazy high prize (in the hundreds) so while I put it in our Amazon store so you can check it out, don’t buy it from there. You can find it for about $40 the author’s website.
We’ve added these and other gift ideas for mother’s day to our Amazon store. You can check out all our suggestions here (in the Mother’s day tab): http://astore.amazon.com/therearoo020-20