Read Around the World November 2020: Panama
For November our adventure around the world took us to Panama but what did we learn?
Fun facts about Panama from this website
- Panama is the only place in the world where you can see the sun rise on the Pacific and set on the Atlantic.
- The canal generates fully one-third of Panama’s entire economy.
- “A man, a plan, a canal; Panama.” is a palindrome.
- Panama was the first Latin American country to adopt the U.S. currency as its own.
- The cargo ship Ancon was the first vessel to transit the Canal on August 15, 1914.
- Seven out of ten Panamanians haven’t heard of the song “Panama” by Van Halen. Ha!
- The Panama Hat is really made in Ecuador.
- In Panama, you can swim in the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean in the same day.
- Panama City is the only capital city that has a rain forest within the city limits
I chose to visit Panama via Come Together, Fall Apart by Cristina Henriquez. Despite this being a short story collection (you know how I feel about them) I found myself really enjoying the stories. Each story has a connection with the other stories. The title story, the last in the book, brings everything full circle. Panama serves as a backdrop for all the stories but it really makes it presence felt in the title story where the political situation brings sweeping changes for one family.
Overall a great story collection that serves more than anything to highlight that no matter where in the world you happen to be people are still the same and the daily lows and highs we all faced are not unique.
Other readers chose to visit Panama in the following ways:
TorieStorieS on Litsy – The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez this was rated a pick. TorieStorieS really loved this one.
RockPools on Litsy The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez this was rated a pick. However RockPools had trouble connecting with the book.
Currey on Litsy – Come Together, Fall Apart by Cristina Henriquez this was rated a pick.
Did you join us for this leg of the trip? What did you read?
In December we will be visiting Qatar what are you reading plans for this destination?